View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Saturday is a Referendum of Matt Schaub and Gary Kubiak's Careers Here in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
well, if Maddict5's numbers are right (22-10), I think the Juggernaut thing is about right, but I don't remember anyone assuring you of anything, much less two or three years.

Not much has changed? Being that we were on the right track, I guess that's technically correct.

We are the newest team in the league. Have you ever thought to compare where we are to where the other new teams are?

Cleveland.... who's better? Them or us?

Carolina..... Jacksonville? Who's better. Those teams may have had more success than we have so far, but where are they now?
Now we get into the realm of unwinnable what-if arguments. 22-10 sounds great. Some Kubiak supporters believe a coaching change would lead to a worse record than that; others think a coaching change would end the "incremental" part of the improvement, get the team over the hump, and lead to a better record. Since either is just a belief, the 22-10 number doesn't prove anything besides we've done well while consistently coming up short of some expectations.

As far as comparing the Texans to other teams, I frequently saw the slow and steady approach compared to the Steelers, the Patriots, and occasionally the Landry Cowboys. Seeing the results of the approach compared to the Browns and Jaguars doesn't convince me it is the best and only way to achieve success.

==============

About expectations. When the season started, I didn't think the Texans were Super Bowl contenders this year for three reasons. First, I thought they lost too much talent last year due to the cap induced cuts and a mitigation plan of "next man up" and counting on a superb draft didn't seem to be enough. We lost too much talent and depth from last year's squad.

Next, I did not think Dre would come back strong this year because of the injuries. He was a very pleasant surprise to me, and his production certainly helped the Texans raise their regular season record a bit higher than I thought it would be. I did always believe the Texans would win their division.

Finally, I don't think Kubiak is the coach to lead the team to the next level. Not much needs to be said on this oft debated subject. I think his approach has become stale, and the players aren't responding anymore. I believe the team is starting to regress, but that regression was hidden a little because of the schedule the Texans had this year.

I took a lot of flak over this reasoning in the beginning of the season, especially the first point.

================

I am disappointed in the Texans because they are satisfied with taking half steps every year, because I see even that progression stopping and falling back. I'd like to see the organization attempt to take a couple of big steps and reach the ultimate goal rather than trust that they will always get a little better each season with no risk of falling back.

Not everyone shares this viewpoint, and I understand that. However, the fact that I don't have a Panglossian view that the Texans are the best they could possibly be doesn't make me a knee-jerk, mouth breathing, bad fan, hater either.*

*I just threw in the "mouth breathing" part for color. I don't think I've actually been called that here.