View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013   #50
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Texans draft changing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
The last six weeks of this season has definately changed my thoughts on the draft .... Six weeks ago , I was on board with a top draft pick at NT/DT , now that focus has shifted to fixing a broken OL where despite Wade Smith making a probowl appearance , I think at least three positions are lacking in LG , RG and RT.

Add to the above the fact that five of the Texans top eight defensive backs will be FA's .... There are also needs at OLB & ILB due to injury and looming free agency.

These positions ....would be my focus in both FA and draft moves , I'd also like to address QB but dont see how with Schaubs contract and not having a premium pick to work with.

NT / DT has almost fallen off the radar for me , below is how I'd rank the needs going into the FA period and the draft:

OG - At least one as neither position has been particularly strong the last third of the season.

RT - Newton has been solid in pass protection but pathetic in run and screen plays. I like him as a swing tackle , not a starter.

DB - Both S and CB with so many possible free agents , you can never have engough good DB's.

ILB - James was a stop gap for a year , the depth has been hurt with injuries , both Dobbins and James are FA's. Sharpton finishing a third consecutive season on IR.

OLB - Barwin's pending FA and the lack of production from the position overall. JJ Watt needs some help up front.

QB - This would be my primary need but with Schaubs contract , a team built to win now and no premium pick or means to move up to one , its just not logical. Need to look real hard at the scrap heap of FA to find a viable plan B should Schaub continue to falter.
What do you think about using this yrs draft to fix the offense since the draft is deep on the offensive side of the ball. (Excluding QB) Then draft heavy on defense in 2014 since rookies can make an impact on defense more often than on offense. That would make the team more formidable.

Also how would you feel about Matt Flynn as a stop gap if Schaub cant get the job done? He ran the WC offense for the Packers. As an aside he's for Tyler. (Looking forward to seeing the Tyler Rose on Saturday)

What do you thnk about moving Barwin to ILB next yr? The thought of Cushing and Barwin appeals to me and the run defense would look much better.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote