Originally Posted by beerlover
First Off Happy New Years
Second we are in total agreement on First.
Third if we do lose Quin to free agency I think we need to look outside & try to upgrade position. There are also three viable first round options if Short is off the board. Texans are in dire need of infusion of playmaking safety with closing speed & cover ability. I'm not a huge fan of Oday, to me its all about attitude which is probably why we both like Flucker.
Fourth, Smith, Davis & Commings are fringe players, meaning high risk they can escalate or transition to the next level. I would upgrade WR position, take another 3 4 end/pass rusher then maybe CB. I like the thought process & even if Texans net one starter from this group that would be considered a success.
We all like Williams pick but guys, he just won't last this long. If you want him it could be no later than the 4th.
Great finish to your mock. I would once again tweak it a bit & take Robinson earliest. Then Guard, RB & Punter. But then again you just never know. I am also interested to see you have not identified QB position as a need of concern to address. I'm not talking about Texans recent malice but Matt signed a four year contract? Anyway he is already 31 so it's not crazy to start thinking about succession planning.
Happy new year buddy! Great to hear from you!!!
1. We like Short! Your idea to look at a safety if Quinn leaves, leads me to think you are referring to one Kenny Vacarro. I would certainly consider him, but is really the only 1st round worthy saftey this year. Would he still be around when the Texans select?
2. Oday is not Fluker. Doesn't have the attitude or mean streak, but is a quality OT prospect. I think he could surprise.
3. I did not realize Smith tore an ACL, so I will have to re think his selection. Davis in my mind is a playmaker, IF the QB can actually get the ball to him. Commings, to me, is the kind of DB the team needs. Like Alan Ball, he will start the year on the ST and be a monster. Give him time to develop.
4. I do like Williams and you are right, may have to grab him in the 4th. May even have to trade up in the 4th to get him.
5. Not really crazy about the later round QB projects this year. I don't think any of them are markedly better than Yates. That said, if you forced me to look at a late round QB project, I'd go with Alex Carder. Give him a reasonable blocking/receivers and watch him develop.
I would rather gran Schaub's replacement in the '14 draft than the '13 draft...