View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013   #5
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Doppelmock: In Season Version 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Although I don't know anything about these players other than what you wrote, I wouldn't mind seeing those positions addressed in the draft. Also, is there a QB that catches your eye you think we can groom to take over this offense one day?
Thanks!

I think this team has more important needs than a QB.

1. The RT position is currently manned by Newton and Ryan Harris. Originally, Rashad Butler was supposed to be the RT, but he was injured and Newton was forced to step up. Harris has not looked particularly great and Newton has struggled. I think Newton would be better as a Swing tackle depth player than a starter. Thus I advocate the need for a high pick on a RT.

2. The DL and OLB corp has struggled to apply adequate pressure. Cody has been a fine player, but he struggles against the bigger stronger OLs. Likewise, the dynamic duo of Barwin and Reed had a grand total of 5.5 sacks combined. Thus, I suggest moving Reed to ILB, where his run stopping, lateral movement, pass D, and occasional blitzing would be better utilized.

This is a thin year for QBs. Unlike last year where Luck and RGIII were potential franchise QBs and Wilson/Cousins were potential stars, this year the cupboard is quite bare. Geno Smith looks like the best out of a very average looking group. Matt Barkley looked bad without a great LT blocking him. Wilson had an up and down year in Arkansas. Bray, had some shaky performances and some questionable decision making. Landry Jones has also had something of an up and down year. Sam Bradford's struggles may hurt him. Tajh Boyd looks like he has potential but is not there. Nassib was disappointing to be honest. Glennon will shoot up the draft boards due to size and speed. Dysert is another interesting prospect.

If the Texans didn't have issues at RT, NT, Pass rusher, etc I would look into taking a developmental QB in the 2nd round. I would gun for Dysert or Boyd. That said, I think the Texans have bigger needs than developmental QB at this time. Thus, Boyd and Dysert should be gone by 4th, which is the point where I think the Texans could afford a developmental player.

So, if I had to take someone else, I would look at Alex Carder, QB, Western Michigan. He had a down season this year due to a poor OL, receiver drops, and an overall ineffective offense. Plus he lost superstar WR Jordan White to the NFL. In 2011, when he had a quality WR, he was a great passer. 66% completion, 3,873 yards, 31 touchdowns/14 interceptions. In 2010 he had 63% passer completion, 3,334 yards with 30 touchdowns/12 interceptions. Carder made good decisions, has a strong arm, and enough nimbleness and speed to actually scramble a bit. Is he better than TJ Yates or Case Keenum? He probably goes in the 6-undrafted range.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote