View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blog post where I explain everything and nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
There is no good Plan B for the Special Teams coach in-season.

And he has had good special teams in the past, so it's not like he's like some Texans coaches who never had good groups either with the Texans or anyone else yet kept their jobs.

To only focus on coaching, without looking at the group he is working with, misses opportunities to fix things. And also risks thinking that you fix everything by just firing a guy. Using Manning in the playoffs is one of those things that may give ST coach more options.

Watch an entire game just focused on special teams. It is painful.

Watch the gunner defense. Too slow to keep up with true, designated ST gunners. Also watch the young guys like Posey. WRs can be very good special teams players, like Andre Davis was, but they are often not natural tacklers who take good angles.

Other than Braman, you don't have a lot of fast defensive players on this STs. The benefit of going to a 3-4 is that you need more LBs, which means more LBs available for ST. That benefit goes away when your LBs get hurt and you are thin on your defense...and then your special teams.

And even the WRs available for ST aren't crazy speedster types. Davis back in day was said to be the fastest guy on the team.

And then punter/kicker were basically scraped together as guys the Texans could afford. Not their Plan A options, and for being Plan B options, you could do a lot worse.
I am sure there is a reason for bolded but I have always wanted fast DBs and LBs only on punt and kickoff coverage. These guys are usually quick to adjust, good feet, good angles and know how to tackle. The other frustration (other than blocking in the back) is ST blocking when Texans are receiving the kick off. Hit somebody! is a frequent scream of mine. It is crazy to see ball carrier switch directions only to discover his blockers have eased up to watch play. "Whoops! Darn he is coming back this way. Uh, what do I do now? Oh yeah block someone (and often in the back)".