View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013   #28
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Blame the team not the refs

I blast the Ref's, but I realize its an extremely difficult job. When things look one way in real time and we think they are crazy to only find out when watching in slow mo they were right, it amazes me.

I'm on the Officials when they call a bad game, and I admit I go after them, and I can be a Homer.

I agree with the people hat say "The Texans lost", they didn't play well enough. However I disagree when some in here get man at people like me because both extremes are wrong. To say the game was lost only becuase of the Refs is wrong, to say that the game was only lost because of poor or mediocre play is wrong as well.

The Refs have a profound affect on the outcome of the game at times, if you disagree with me thats your right but you are wrong. This is a game of inches, 1-3 bad calls can change 90% of all the NFL the games in my opinion, depending on timing.

Any call can stop or create momentum for either team, just like a big sack, big gain, or long run. On paper there is very little difference between a big play and a bad call, they can both have the same result, and they can changes a teams demeanor. A penalty that negates a three an out can keep a defense on the field, and result in a TD all because of one penalty.

I'm not starting a fight so don't want some in here to get all pissy, its just my observation, and I don't mean everybody just some, and I don't have anyone in mind when I say this. I think some people think they are taking responsibility by saying "It was all poor play", like they aren't passing off blame, like its some kind of moral thing. As if those that get pissed at the Refs are people that blame the world for everything that is wrong in thier life. As if calling the team out is the way to be a man in a way. On the flip side there are fans that blame the Refs no matter what, I acknowledge that.

I will say that during a game I'm a fan, almost every call against the Texans is wrong for some reason, and that almost every failed play was the result of some missed call against the other team, I get passionate. However after the game I'm subjective, and things sink in.

So I've said it many times this week, the Texans played at about a 3 or a 4 on a scale of 1-10 of what they can do. Sometimes thats good enough, but this week it wasn't, the Colts played a level high enough, the ball bounced thier way a lot, and no one can deny that it sure looked like we got called for everything and then some, and they got away with a little more. We had 9 penalties, and they had 2. I'm saying that we didn't commit more, because a lot goes uncalled for both teams, but it sure felt skewed a little more one way tham the other.

In this last game we got hoesd on a couple of critical calls, and I feel it would have been a much closer game, we may not have won, but it would have been at least closer. Add that to the fiasco of a game last year in Indy, which was in my opinion the worst officiated game in Texans history its easy as a fan to attack the Refs.

Regardless of how you feel about what I have said, the Refs do impact games. They had an impact last Sunday, and that combined with horrible play by the offense to end in an almost unwatchable game at times.