View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123766 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ray Lewis Retiring: “This will be my last ride”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Type in Google "greatest NFL defenses of all time".

Everyone (but the brilliant Tex) agrees that it's the Steel Curtain.

Here's your "one season", dood:
Sorry, but the Ravens defense averaged less points per game as far as what they gave up to opposing defenses in a 16 game season. That's by far the most important stat of any stat of a one year defense. They gave up the least amount of points and won the SB doing it as well. Points is always the most important stat when describing an entire unit that win a SB. To not allow teams to score. They only gave up "23 points in four games of the playoffs!!". Show me where the Steelers dominated a post season like that even in their run oriented era. Their best season was 1976 where they lost in the playoffs. I've always said that whether it's on offense or defense. Points are what matter when comparing one unit against the other. The Ravens gave up the least. The only team that gave up less were the Vikings (Purple People Eaters) way back in the day and they weren't even playing in 16 game seasons either, nor did they win it all like the Ravens did. The Vikings like the Steelers didn't play with these complex offenses either where QB's routinely were throwing for 3,500 to 4,000 yards a season. A defense dominating like the Ravens and Bucs did is a lot harder now days then it was back then.

For a 14 game season the Steelers were the best I'd say in their era where the defenses had a much better advantage to dominate back then. In a 16 game season the Ravens only allowed 152 points to their entire season. The Steelers allowed 138, which would be a 14 point difference from two games.

Quote:
So whatever, man. Your credibility just went out the window.
My cred went out the window because you posted some link? Yet you didn't even pay attention to the meat and the potatoes of which made the defenses so great?? Okaaaaayyy. Hell, the 1976 Steelers didn't even win the SB that year either.

Quote:
You dissing the Steel Curtain! BWAHAHAHAHA!!

I'm not dissing the Ravens D (like you seem to be with the Steel Curtain). I'm just a NFL history fan, and your take of trying to make them look bad is so freakin' whack that I find your post to be humorous than anything else. "Humorous" as in uneducated full of shit.

I think a case could be made that Ray Lewis is G.O.A.T. I said it earlier. So very much unlike you, I can see both sides.

You and your agendas. So obvious! lol
Didn't diss the Steel Curtain. They were great, but they had a few HOF's on offense as well. The Ravens didn't have squat. They had a garbage QB, a decent rookie RB who barely posted a 1,000 yards, and total garbage at WR. The only good offensive player they had really was Ogden on the O line. The Steelers however had a HOF QB which the most important position on the field who had already led his team to 4 SB's, a HOF WR, and a HOF RB. Yeah, they had a great defense and all, but their run is extremely legendary because they won 4 SB's. They won those 4 SB's in an era that favored defenses a lot more then they do now, and they also didn't have free agency where player movement is all over the place like it was for the Ravens who never had a great QB much less a HOF one. I'd put the 85 Bears and the Bucs defenses above the Steelers as well. The Bucs were probably a close 2nd to the Ravens.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote