View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ray Lewis Retiring: “This will be my last ride”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
...said no one ever.

Singletary and Lewis are so close in records that a good argument could be made either way. The main reason I give Singletary the nod is that Lewis has called him his mentor. Singletary coached Lewis for two seasons with the Ravens, btw. Video

They were both captains of the two best defenses in the last 30 years. I'd go back farther in time, but the 1970's Steel Curtain is easily considered the best ever. Both of these cats look up to Jack Lambert.
The Steel Curtain is not even in the top 3 much less the best ever. Hell, you'd have to find at least one season to try and compare instead of trying to use a decade of a defense. Statistically the Ravens Defense blew their defense out of the water the year they won the SB. The Ravens played against waaaaaayyy better offenses. The Ravens won their SB with nothing but defense and were the first team to ever win a SB with straight defense and no offense.

And by your theory, you're basically saying that these guys are better because they were older. I could argue that LB"s before Lambert were better by that notion just because they were older. Now days LB's like Ray Lewis have more responsibilities though. Lambert and Singletary weren't practically coaches on the field the way Ray Lewis has been. Not to the same level any way. And I don't see what Singletary being a mentor has anything to do with him being better. That just means he coached him at one point. Ray Lewis was already a HOFer before Singletary ever coached him any way.

The only LB that is really even close to being in the discussion to Ray Lewis is LT, and Ray Lewis was easily better because he wasn't the detriment to his team like LT was. LT helped his teammates to get into trouble and to do tons of bad things off the field. Ray Lewis helped his teammates to stay out of trouble and to buy into everything they were doing on the field. He helped to even minister some of his teammates and help them with their faith in the lord.

Ultimate leader on and off the field. Best LB of all time. Best defensive player of all time. Best leader of all time. This is an opinion of course, but there is a ton of evidence to back up that claim as a strong argument.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote