Join Date: May 2004
Re: Beerlover New Year Mock 3.0
Originally Posted by Wolf6151
1. Vaccaro, I think we re-sign Quin.
2. Boyd, I don't know much about him, haven't paid alot of attention to QB since we just re-signed Schaub. I don't think we'll draft a QB in 2013.
3. Hopkins, he's listed as a bottom of the 1st round or top of the 2nd round prospect, what makes him fall to the 3rd round?
3. Carradine, makes sense only if we lose Barwin, but I think we re-sign him.
4. McCullers, to tall to play NT, won't be able to get his pads low enough for leverage.
5. Fragel, I don't know anything about him but I like the position chosen, I'd like to see O-ine addressed much earlier.
5. Wood, I don't know much about him but I like the position in this round.
6. Wade, see Wood comment.
7. Allen, love this pick, younger, better, and cheaper.
7. Malone, I don't know anything about him either but we need CB depth when we lose McCain to FA, I would like to see CB addressed a little earlier as well.
No FB as an UDFA? Tutogi, Boren, Copeland?
I did mention using Tate to improve draft slot position to grab WR Hopkins. What that will be come draft day is anyone guess, but yes he intrigues me the most of group.
I believe in Wade Phillips ability to mold a mountain if that means adding a one gap nose over center.
Here is a scouting breakdown from game the other night on Boyd -
#10 Tajh Boyd, QB, Clemson
-Variety of sets, often in pistol formation, some under center.
-Could have had better placement on handoff.
-Senses pressure, able to step up, scramble and gain a couple yards.
-Little flip to his motion, ball doesn’t take too long to get out.
-Reads the field short to long, accurate throw on dig route down the field.
-Shows some elusiveness in the backfield, needs to slide – takes a huge hit.
-Weak play action, under pressure, delivers a strike on out route.
-Makes a LB miss in the backfield, powerful run for a TD.
-Faces down pressure, steps into throw, good timing on stop route, perfect ball placement.
-Showing some serious toughness – taking some big hits.
-Lobs deep ball down the field, falls out of bounds.
-Climbs the pocket to avoid pressure, ridiculous backhand flip pass outside – very “Bad Favre”.
-Finds Hopkins in a tight window, good velocity, put it where only his guy could get it.
-Audibles being called in from the sideline.
-Takes a bad sack in the 2-minute drill – needed to get rid of the ball.
-Recovers own fumble, didn’t recognize weak-side blitz.
-Under siege by LSU, no time in the pocket.
-Perfect throw to Hopkins on slant, couldn’t place it better.
-Ball sailed a bit, mis-communication with receiver as well.
-Sticks in under pressure, floats great ball to TE to convert clutch 3rd down late in game.
-Hits second read and fires bullet to Hopkins for the TD.
-Rolls right, can’t find anyone open and misses on 2-point conversion.
-Overthrows Hopkins twice, both too high.
-Great touch on 4th down throw – clutch conversion.
Overall: Boyd showed more toughness than any QB I’ve seen this year. He got smacked in the chops in the passing game, but took a ton of hits on his 25+ runs as well. He showed that he can pass the ball and has enough elusiveness to buy time in the pocket. He is a 3rd round guy for me right now if he should declare.
Thanks for feedback
2012 Draft was Mercilus
Last edited by beerlover; 01-02-2013 at 02:03 PM.