View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 153912 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kawaan Short DT Purdue eval

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
@ Badboy .... I wasnt really talking to you in particular , just at the opinion that DT is a first round need. I'd like to upgrade the position just as much as the next guy , just dont see it being done in the first round with so many other issues.

I agree with Schaub being broken and probably the biggest reason this offense has faltered .... but he's got two years left on his deal at big $$$ making it near impossible to cut or trade him. Just have to make the best of a bad situation .... but he's not why Foster has been hemmed in the entire second half of the season or why they averaged ~3.8ypc rushing for the season. There have been far to many plays where defenders are playing behind the LOS .... thats on the OL.

Also the secondary is likely to lose a significant number of players - Quin , McCain , Ball , Demps , Keo.

ILB has to be addressed as well - Cushing coming back from a serious injury , who knows how he recovers. Dobbins and James will be FA's and .... Sharpton back on IR.

WR .... could use an upgrade too.
First, to clarify, I'm not angry with your comments just want to discuss all facets of issues & know you want that also. BL & I do want big NT & have repeatedly said why. We often disagree (include Rmartin65) about players and when to select. Our PMs often smoke, lol. What I do get a bit tired of is when posters say things like "Wade Phillips prefers smaller DTs" when it has been documented he has said since coming to Texans that he uses what he has. IIRC he has sign only one NT and that was Fangupo 6'1 323 who has a minor knee injury and was waived. Or "anyone watching knows it is (this positions) fault" without stating their reason for saying that. Derek Newton receives this a lot and Ben Jones sort of slides on criticism. Both are basically rookies and Jones was a 4th while Newton was a 7th. Seems like more would be expected of Jones.

Schaub contract is beautiful: 5 years $66.15m with 29.15 guaranteed and met by end of 2013. 66.15- 17.5 m bonus= 48.65 - $4.4 m (base '12)= $7.25 m which is his 2013 base. He is nonguaranteed 2014 thru '16 when base increases tremendously. He can be cut after next season and remaining bonus of $3.5 x 3 years remaining = $10.5m cap for 2014. Yes that is high but his cap for '13 is $10m base +3.5 bonus prorate if on roster. We can get rid of him, if needed.