View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012   #7
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 95025 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: LZ: The offense is very much broken and Kubiak canít rely on Ďthe systemí he has

In the comments section, Zierlein identifies Schaub as one of the root problems. The other problem is the line. Though both problems have separate origins, the line is complicating the problems with Schaub. Maybe rotating rookies into the right side has diminished pass protection and prevented synchronicity for zone blocking. Whatever's going on, Schaub is not the QB he was even a month ago. One TD in the past four "must win" games is a meltdown.

I don't know yet what Zierlein's logic is for diagnosing the problem at QB, but mine is based on annual trends. Every year, I go back and forth from believing that Schaub has successfully broken through his ceiling (he made an undeniable case early in the season), to concluding that he is on the downward slope of his peak.

I find myself experiencing the same emotions with Schaub every year, making the same observations, then coming to the same conclusions. This is what I posted last season, saying the exact same thing, and referencing the exact same thing from the previous year.

Quote:
As late as last season, I was still defending Schaub as being on his way to elite status. And as recently as the New Orleans game two weeks ago, I suddenly saw evidence that aligned everything I know about him into a conclusion that is very uncomfortable and difficult to acknowledge.

Basically, Schaub is damaged goods and has reached his ceiling. His stats are better than ever, but he crumbles when the game is on the line. I saw a glimpse of this last season when we played the Ravens on MNF. The pick-six in OT is not a mistake that championship caliber quarterbacks make. He will lead the team to the border of the promised land, then seal their defeat.

The moment my mind changed was when Schaub took a dive in the 4th quarter against the Saints when he had plenty of space to escape. Normally, I think taking the dive is a smart play, but that instance was another sample of an increasing pattern of freaking out while under pressure.

When the pocket collapses, a championship quarterback scrambles, improvises, and plays the hand he's dealt-- think Brees, Rodgers, and Manning. Schaub? He won't scramble. He's been throwing at feet, taking unnecessary dives, and forcing it to covered players for an interception.

It's sad to say, but the frequency of this is increasing. Personally, I can't say I would be very cool-headed when a 270 lbs athlete is about to transfer a 2000 lbs shockwave of kinetic energy through my body, but we need Schaub to be that guy-- and he is not anymore.
Link.

In the first half of this season, Schaub played the best I've ever seen him play. But it's part of a trend now, and it's been happening every year.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote