View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012   #31
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you have faith in Matt Schaub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dishman View Post
Also, with the right side of the O line not giving him much protection I will say he's at least not fumbling when he gets crushed by the defense. The line isn't doing well and Schaub is not known as a scrambler or able to consistently extend broken plays or an escape artist. The weakness on the line has really exposed Schaub as someone needing ideal conditions to perform. It's not his fault about the line, but it does expose his limitations and liabilities as an NFL QB.
This pretty much is my reasoning. It was the Jets game that first made me begin to question his ability to handle the load upon himself. It was a game the offense didn't show the efficiency we would expect going against such a hobbled team at that time. But I brushed it under the rug feeling he is just now learning what it meant to be in these situations.

Then came the Packers and my doubts rose. It began to seem just like the post I quoted, that Schaub needed everything in line to be functional out there. If your quarterback needs everything to be running by formula then you are in trouble. He needs to be able to be capable of adapting to the situation. Instead, as more teams stacked against the run and the right side of the line faltered, he faltered. He is a system guy and games are way too unpredictable in today's NFL to expect every single thing to go accordingly.

After the Ravens game it only got worse with inconsistency from the offense. There one week then looking out of sync the next. I began to wonder if he was capable of just dropping back and getting it done. Now folks can say 'Hey, the Jaguars and Lions game.' But look at that statement and those two teams. I would hope even a middle of a pack quarterback can come back on those two. But when the bright lights were on and across the field was a team of equal caliber or better he faltered....heavily.

And then came the Vikings. A good team but I don't think as talented as the Texans yet...we couldn't do anything and at home no yet. That cemented it for me that I was wrong when I toted Schaub as a top ten quarterback. Just look at the post talking of the blocking. We're saying he needs perfect blocking, consistent running game and better targets.

Sure sounds like the guy is needing quite a lot to be effective, doesn't it? Most quarterbacks in the league would be effective with all of that so what actually makes Schaub special? You want someone that when everything isn't perfect he is capable. Can we say Schaub is? At this point we don't have anything to tells us the answer to that question is 'Yes.'

But we can still hope something changes and the ship is righted with him and this offense. At this point hope is all we have so I'll take it, heh.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote