View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012   #1
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What do you see next year and beyond for the Texans

Here's mine:
First I want to state I think all the Texans and staff are great human beings and all below is not a personal attack.

Stuck with Smith/Kubiak for at least 3 years because they are really great guys. We will be told 12-4 is the next step to the SB but as some know, more now than 4 games ago, this team is going in the wrong direction.

Smith has been made out to be some wizard but I think in the biggest decision he had was to not trade Mario and get value. The Cowboys build a dynasty by trading Walker and we get basically nothing for Mario. I know we would not have gotten any where near what the Cowboys got but we might have gotten enough cap space to keep our Oline and maybe a 2nd or 3rd draft choice. Also we extended Matt before seeing him play out the season. We are now stuck with him not just because of the contract but because Kubiak is going nowhere. Due to the great management of the salary cap by the wizard we really can't do much next year to really improve.

We may be told again for the 3rd year that our WRs of the future are on the team now. What is the real answer to our present WRs other than Walter and AJ. I think they are knowns. Walter is a 3rd if you want to be nice and Aj is still very good but getting older. Are our other current WRs (a) no good, (b) not getting good coaching (c) Ok but our all pro QB won't go to them because he is only focused on the others

Our Oline has a chance of maybe getting better next year.

Our RBs are above average but I do think Foster has lost some of the fire or should I say dedication during the offseason to be great like last year. A lot may be due to line play but???

TE average to above average.

Our offense at the skill positons are not quick and explosive but some of that may be due to our QB .

I see Matt as the QB for the next couple or more years barring injury because I don't see Kubiak leaving. Matt and Kubes tied at the hip as someone else said. With Matt at QB I could see the Texans contending for a playoff spot for the next couple of years with no real chance to be in the SB. Matt is OK during the season but when the teams get better in the playoffs he is just too limited physically to make the offense effective. With him many things we may want to do on offense we can't because he can't.

With this future for the offense i am not sure it matters what the defense's future is. Could be better, could be the same, or could be worse. It needs to be GREAT for the Texans to be competitive during the season. Once the playoffs start I am afraid great may not be good enough with our offense as I see it.

I see a change in FO/coaching in three to four years.

I think we will compete for a wild card spot behind the Colts after next year. I think it will be back to the same old fight for the playoffs after next year. I think we may be able to win the division once more if all goes well.

Someone else give me their take and raise my hopes.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote