Originally Posted by Rey
1) The defense steps it up another level
2) Kubiak does a better overall job coaching
3) Matt Schaub steps his game up/Shows up big in crucial moments
4) The O-line plays better
5) Arian takes it up a notch
6) The WR's/TE's get open more
7) We get home field throughout
8) ST's significantly improves
9) We have a few lucky bounces
Positive thread. Time to get some positive thoughts going guys. It's Friday. Football Friday. I realize that more than one of these these will likely have to occur, but what one thing happening will make you feel better (even better) about our Super Bowl chances?
Okay... success will depend upon a variety of occurrences, not one thing. So instead of picking the one thing, I'm gonna go the order of importance route. For example, say Schaub fails to "step it up a notch" and has a Meh game BUT the defense gets turnovers, Foster steps it up and keeps finding his way into the endzone, and ST wakes up and actually gets some long returns or even one or two for TDs on our journey to Lombardi TrophyLand, then we can STILL win it all.
So here goes...
1. Defense steps it up another level. This is tops on my list because this will keep games close that we may otherwise be blown out of if the offense flounders. And if the D gets turnovers to give us extra possessions - before I was just talking generating 3-&-outs - now we have significantly improved our chances to win. Extra possessions, even those that result in FGs, take away possessions from the opposition.
2. The O-line plays better. And I mean 2010-level better. Arian Foster leading the league in rushing better. Schaub having 3-4 secs to find someone open better.
3. Arian takes it up another level. If Foster (and by inference, the O-line) is clicking, then the rest of our offense should work as designed. The TEs and WRs should get open on playaction. All Schaub has to do is not go blind and the whole offense will have good days.
4. Matt Schaub ups his game. This also means A.J. has a big day (I noticed he wasn't among the choices) and OD and the young WR corps have big days. Schaub gets the ball out of his hands quickly and is on target. The "dumb Schaub throw of the game" is thankfully absent during the playoff run.
5. Home field throughout. This one is on us fans. We shut the hell up when we
have the ball and make the other guys' ears bleed when they
have the ball. Teams have to use their timeouts at inappropriate times because they can't hear. We cause multiple false start penalties because they can't hear. We pump J.J. and Ninja up so much they both have multi-sack games.