View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012   #8
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72184 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Walter's Current Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Thing about Cody is I dont see a guy who's going to give you , from day one the same production without moving up significantly.

I agree he's going to be on the wrong side of 30 .... and that there is no guarantee he comes back healthy (may need surgery on that bad back).

It boils down to bang for the buck - I think they can resign him on the cheap pending he's healthy. If he's not healthy then all bets are off.

But as of now , Im more concerned with CB , OG , ILB and WR than I am DT.

McCain & Ball FA's - I dont see McCain returning. Ball may be retained on the cheap .... but thats a big ???

At OG Caldwell will be a FA , dont see him returning , Smith will be in the final year of his deal and hasnt played well recently.

ILB Dobbins and James will be FA's. Have to wonder if either is retained and how Cushing will respond post injury. Sharpton .... is a backup IMO.

WR .... man its obvious that #80 needs some help.

Then we have Barwin .... who hasnt really had a real good season numbers wise. They have Mercilus behind him , he may be gone leaving the need for another OLB. That leaves a gaping hole behind the starter ....

Quin along with Demps and Keo that will be FA's at S. I think they keep Quin and outside of Barwin , he's the only guy I see seeking a significant raise.

At OT Gardner , Butler , and Harris will hit the market.

After watching the past few weeks , I really think they have to get better up front on the OL. Its painfully obvious that the current group isnt good enough. Im looking at OG's in the second round.

First round , im looking at WR and CB taking the highest rated guy from either position then filling the other later , probably in the 3rd round or moving back up into the second to grab a guy who slips some. They have a 3rd round comp pick coming , using the other 3rd rd along with later picks to move into the 2nd isnt out of the realm of possibility.

That 3rd round comp pick is where I start looking at DT and ILB .... as well as replacing depth lost from the 20+ that will reach FA.
This is kind of how I see things.

I'm a big Patterson guy, but he'll probably be gone by 28-32. Terrance Williams is the next WR on my list and would represent great value in that draft range.

I would then trade up and if one of the QB's fell to the top of the 2nd I would trade up and take him. (Bray is my guy, he's a top 5 talent that wouldn't be there if he didn't have a run in with his HC and have mechanical issues. He has a very strong arm though) RT would be on my list with the comp 3rd rd pick. (There appears to be depth in this yrs draft there) I have high hopes for Brooks next yr at OG. This would fix the offense. Or atleast be a start.

Then I would re-sign Quin who I consider to be the most important FA on the Texans this yr. Quins versatility playing LB in the nickle and being the leader (getting guys lined up correctly) is invaluable. I agree with you that Cody will be re-signed at his cuurent contract value. However to do this the Texans will have to re-up him for 3 yrs. Would you do this? Or is 3 yrs too long? Barwin is a tough case, he's played more like a 2 mill guy than a 10 mill guy. How much would you pay him and how would you restructure his contract?

The rest of the draft should be for adding depth to the defense, paticularly the LB's as they are the heart of the defense. I really like Klien and Knott the 2 Iowa St LB's. Those guys are players and should be there in the 4-5th rd range.

If the Texans let the lower tier FA's walk, you can always find guys to replace them. (Dobbins, James, Demps etc...0 They are street guys that can be replaced Ball is an example of a guy like this that Rick signed off of the street last yr.

The main thing is to try to fix the offense for the short term and the long term in this yrs draft. It's been neglected forfar to long. IMHO
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote