View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012   #60
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dutch's 2013 Texans Offseason Projections and Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
The thought had crossed my mind, but I don't see it happening unless we win the Super Bowl. Kind of hard to justify avoiding a 1st round pick when you have issues that kept the team from going the distance. I could definitely see us doing that with mid-round picks, say trading our 4th and 6th for a 2014 late 2nd or early 3rd. That works fine IMO, anything that helps us avoid 11 draft picks or more coming in this season. I think we don't need more than 8 at most to avoid cap liability.

Thanks! Per Antonio, like I said in a follow up post, he could restructure, which would keep him on the team. My biggest problem with Antonio is the fact that he has Watt on the other side of him, and he's not as productive of a pass rusher as I would expect of someone in that situation. He's also just average at stopping the run. I don't think there has been a moment in his time with the Texans where I would have said he was worth 9.8 million a year, or much less at 6. Same argument could be made against Walter, he's overpaid with a top 5 WR on the other side of him, he's clearly not quick enough or can't make the cuts to create separation to warrant him being the #2. Bottom line, I think we could do better while spending less.

As far as mocks go for the mock-heads around here, consider finding a new 3-4 DE this draft to replace Smith. His cap savings is huge and drafting another DE could help in the restructure negotiations. Just something to think about.
I think Crick will help Smith to consider restructuring and then bringing in my mock 6th Lewis-Moore a motor from Notre Dame would also make his ears perk up. No need to spend a higher pick if you truly want Smith here. AGain, I am really looking to off season after a tremendous season, decent draft picks and some wiggle room under cap as is and more as you suggest with some manuevering.