View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012   #8
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47206 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: James Harrison Just Doesn't Get It

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm not defending Harrison or speaking for Dread, but I'll say your bolded comment isn't really true. When the ball carrier gets low in anticipation of a hit, the squared up area to hit the guy is pretty close to knees and head. Harrison's been dinged on that BS before, and it's a constant topic of complaint among the fans. Defensive players shouldn't be fined for aiming at the torso and catching the guy's head when the guy lowers his head. But it happens all the time now. So while I don't condone what Harrison is saying, I do understand it. That's not to say that Harrison hasn't earned his rep. He's done plenty of headhunting.

The person to be pissed off at is Goodell, not Harrison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Here's an exaple that illustrates both why Harrison has the rep he has and the failure of the application of the rule at the same time:

Ignore for a minute where Harrison actually hit Massaquoi and look at Massaquoi. Where would you hit him? It's easy to say that 6-inch sliver right around his belt line, but A.) do that at full speed when both of you are moving, and B.) get that low int he first place. It's not easy.

The zero tolerance fines are just as much BS as Harrison's MO.
Good, fair points made. In cases like the image above, you are correct. This is why if the NFL is going to continue going down this road, they have got to begin making a distinction between a player intentionally going for the head and a player ducking his own head into a hit. But going for a guy's knees simply is not the answer.

Harrison is a piece of ****, and I would have zero problems if the guy got his own knees taken out and had to be carried off on a stretcher. Like DB stated, you can't intentionally take out a guy's knees when you are already admitting that hitting a guy in the knees is an easy way to end a career.

I hate Goodell as much as the next guy, but Harrison is a punk.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote