View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: James Harrison Just Doesn't Get It

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I'm not defending Harrison or speaking for Dread, but I'll say your bolded comment isn't really true. When the ball carrier gets low in anticipation of a hit, the squared up area to hit the guy is pretty close to knees and head. Harrison's been dinged on that BS before, and it's a constant topic of complaint among the fans. Defensive players shouldn't be fined for aiming at the torso and catching the guy's head when the guy lowers his head. But it happens all the time now. So while I don't condone what Harrison is saying, I do understand it. That's not to say that Harrison hasn't earned his rep. He's done plenty of headhunting.
Yeah the bolded is true in the great majority of tackles. Harrison's statement is stupid. People get form tackled all the time, the vast majority of the time (well in the target area although form has been lost). Yes there are examples like yours where the target area shrinks.

I am not sure how to craft the rule but I think there should be some consideration for (a) people lowering their heads and creating the contact and (b) people having initial contact which whips someones head into helmet to helmet contact.

I will say I think the NFL has discussed a good distinction on the issue (they f'd it up on Watt) - form tackling v. trying to play lawn dart.