View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012   #40
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dutch's 2013 Texans Offseason Projections and Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
So $5.4 clear under cap & approx $13.5 if needed for right player(s) and from that we have to decide which of our own FA to keep? I had guesstimated about 15. Thanks for the info as always!
Well, it depends on how you look at it. 11.X million is my best guess as to how much we have on the books for 2013 at the moment, but that's only 41 of 53 players, and it includes 17 weeks of a full Practice Squad. I'm suggesting that we assume that those 12 spots will eat up 500k a piece, which will take the free space down to 5.x million. So if you want to add a free agent that will cost 3.5 million dollars in 2013, you need to subtract 3 million from the estimate, leaving 2.x million. I'm just trying to fend off the "we have 11 million in free space, let's spend 9 of it on Mike Wallace" type comments. It's not truly empty space. Even at the bare minimum of 405k per player, those 12 spots will cost 4.86 million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Awesome Dutch... just awesome. Quick question- how do rookie salaries fit into the whole shebang?
Well, I'm not really accounting for them in this. I'm just assuming those 12 spots will be filled by players that cost 500k a piece. Most of the rookies will be slightly above that, somewhere in the 500-700k range this year. So the 2nd-7th guys will cost maybe a little more than the projection has now, but not too much. Brandon Harris was 600k last year, 750k this year; Reed was 850k last year, 1.06m this year; compared to Mercilus who is 1,388,016 this year.

If we have a 1st round pick, he will likely cost about 1-2 million dollars in 2013. That's the most significant cost, and quite honestly, I think it would be wise to trade out of the 1st to save some cap money, move to the top of the 2nd and spend a lot of low picks pushing 4/5 rounders up to 2nds or 3rds. We wasted a lot of dead money on guys like Keo, McManis and others who were late picks, and I'd rather not have so many late picks that will just be cut due to numbers.