View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012   #67
RonnieLott42
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 RonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respectedRonnieLott42 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alex Smith vs. Colin Kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Speaking of Alex Smith.

What do you think of the decision to go with Kaepernick now?

I know we've seen Alex Smith go against Brees in the Play-offs & hang. We've seen Alex Smith have at least a couple of amazing games.

But if you were to bet money on it, would you think he could have pulled off what Kaepernick did yesterday? I wouldn't. He's just not that guy. That game was right at what I think Smith's ceiling is. The odds of him doing it when you need him to do it are low. That's just the way I see it.

Now Kaepernick wasn't perfect. He had some serious goofs. But he also made plays to "make up" for them & he's got a running game & a defense that will allow him to screw up.
This was the game that I was waiting for from Kaepernick and you know Harbaugh was as happy as a pig in...well he was happy.
I never was a big Smith fan and agree that AS probably wouldn't have won in Gillette stadium as his natural temperment is to be careful. That cautious approach wouldn't have worked against the Patriots although he has won many games against lesser teams. When the Niners have tried to have ASmith be aggressive it's resulted in losses(Vikings, NY Giants).
One of CK's best attributes is his aggressive nature on the field. It's strange to see how different the offense looks when someone gets the ball to the secondary and tertiary targets.
I'll roll with the errors that CK makes because so far he's done what good QB's do when they make a mistake and that's follow it up with a good play. Smith would go into safe mode more often than not after a bad play.
No doubt CK has the best safety nets that a young QB could ask for, as you said. I have confidence that CK will be light years better in 2-3 seasons.
RonnieLott42 is offline   Reply With Quote