View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012   #12
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27437 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Texans draft changing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The news about Nix surprises me as I thought he was leaving for certain. Kelly must have got him drunk and whispered in his ear. Nix almost left last year. I guess his Irish Chocolate followers convinced him to ride the wave of popularity. Wow. Jesse Williams an early guy for me has moved up & I just cannot get a good read on Sylvester. He has done well when I have focused on him but he turned 24 last month and I want to see if he can keep the weight off. He is quicker and looke good against Virginia. He also has a rep for taking plays off but I have not seen that. It is possible with Nix gone, if S.Williams has a good combine he will climb into late 20s. He is ranked 69. If I knew he would be there in second....

SHort has a rep for not playing 100% but I guess if he can his stats as he has he might be an option. This is same issue I have with Sylvester and not sure that type play translates to NFL. Whomever we draft at NT will have to play hard every play.
Here's how I evaluate the 3 guys remaining that fit our system, Jesse Williams, Sylvester Williams, and Kawann Short.

J. Williams, I see him as a guy with great strength who can hold the double teams or push a single blocker backwards and collapse the pocket though he's not a good penetrating NT because he lacks the athletic quickness. To me he's more of a traditional brickwall NT with good straight ahead speed but lacks lateral agility to make the tackle on plays that don't come right at him. Great strength, good straight line speed, poor lateral agility/quickness. He's #3 on my list.

S. Williams, I see him more as a 4-3 UT with great quickness, great swim move, great penetrating ability, lateral agility, speed, and athleticism, but he lacks some strength to hold up to double teams or collapse the pocket consistently. Luckily once he gets on an NFL strength and conditioning program he'll gain that core strength in his legs to anchor and hold up to double teams, but it might take a year. He's more of a quick penetrating NT, in our 1 gap system, that can pressure the QB. He's #2 on my list.

K. Short, he's a combo of the 2 Williams, he's got the strength in his core and legs to hold the double teams and collapse the pocket against single blockers. He's got enough quickness and lateral agility to penetrate and play the run and also has a 2nd gear when in the clear that he's got good speed and able to chase a play that doesn't come his way. S. Williams is better at penetrating, J. Williams is better at holding the LOS, while K. Short has got both skills and will get even better in an NFL program. Imagine a strong penetrating big nasty lined up next to JJ Watt, it would take 4 O-linemen to properly block them. He's #1 on my list.

As for taking plays off, I'm not to worried about it. 320 lbs. college linemen get winded and in college aren't in the best physical condition that they'll be in a year after getting drafted. The NFL level strength and conditioning programs will improve their stamina and I think our core players won't let rookies become slackers. With Watt in one ear and Antonio Smith in the other and Cushing behind him a rookie would be to scared not to give full effort.

On a personal note I sure hope Rick Smith can extend Antonio Smith 2-3 yrs. and lower his cap hit, he means so much to this team that most people don't see.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote