View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88167 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Texans draft changing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i think i'm about the same now as i was early in the season.

1. wide receiver. it's past time to look for the heir to andre, who significantly upgrades #2 wide receiver in the mean time. we're way too dependent on andre and multiple tightend sets to move the ball through the air because our wide receivers arent capable of consistently making plays.

2 offensive tackle. i still see newton topping out as a very good backup. if long is available, i'd make him a priority pick, even taking him in the first if he continues to climb. brooks and jones seem poised to take the OG positions, so i think we're good there, but the bookend opposite duane brown is a very big need IMO.

3 inside linebacker. brian cushing and then a lot of average players on the current squad, none of whom should be starting. this is a spot where i'd like to see us double up in the middle rounds and aim at guys who have shown ball skills in coverage. we have thumpers, but only cushing who can really be an asset when we switch to nickel.

4 nose tackle. i dont rank this as a need, but i would certainly love a franchise big body. NT i would like to see us grab as BPA - whether in the first round or 7th doesnt matter to me. i'd hate to see us bypass a better player to fill this position, but if BPA at our pick is a heavy, i hope we jump on it.

5 corner, safety, OLB. i list these as positions that could use depth, but rate them as areas that could be filled with second tier veteran free agents. i'd look for late round athletes to fill the practice squad and hope to land a gem.
This

Obviously the Texans have trouble scoring TD's. Either this is because of Garys conservatism or lack of playmakers. I tend to think it's the latter. Add a Williams or a Patterson in the 1st rd and a Winters in the 2nd and you will start seeing 24-31 points a game instead of 14-20 points a game. This will help take pressure off of the defense.

The good thing is you still should be able to find a good NT Which I rate as a higher need than you do) and upgrade depth at ILB.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote