View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Your opinions on Texans draft changing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Hate to burst anyone's bubble but Nix is staying at ND.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ix-enter-draft

I thought he'd go before we had a chance at him but now someone else will move up and away from us in the 1st round.

Current needs as I see them:
1. DT/NT, I saw Cody getting pushed around by a single blocker in the Colts game way to often and being a 3 mil. a yr. player and FA says bye bye to me. Kawann Short-DT from Purdue, great size and strength to anchor on double teams, speed to penetrate on single blocking, agility/athleticism to play the run and pressure the QB.
2. WR, regardless of what Posey, Martin, and Jean have done this year or not done, which isn't much, we need some better WR talent. Those guys should be fighting for a roster spot next training camp. Quinton Patton-WR from La. Tech. size, great hands, decent speed, field awareness, not afraid of contact, and good routes.
3. OT/OG, I want at least 1 guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and preferably 2 that can play both positions, good quality talent that can step in if needed or fighting for a starting spot in training camp as well as a later round OG for depth. Ricky Wagner-OT from Wisconsin.
3b. OG, Gabe Jackson-OG from Miss. St. with the comp. 3rd. Back to back O-line helps solidify the line for the future and Wade Smith will be leaving after the 2013 season, maybe sooner.
4. CB, we lose McCain in FA because even mediocre CB's are expensive and Harris steps up to take his nickle spot and a draft pick steps in to fill Harris's spot as trainable and upgradeable (is that a word) depth. Johnny Adams-CB from Mich. St. he's got size, speed, athleticism, and potential to be coached up.
5. ILB, once Cushing is back and with a better NT the other 2 down ILB spot is much less important but some young athletic stable talent with potential would be nice here. Kevin Reddick-ILB from UNC or Bruce Taylor-ILB from Va. Tech. both have size and athleticism.
5b. TE, a blocking TE would be nice, our O-line needs some size up front. Michael Williams-TE from Alabama, great size but can catch as well. 6'06" and 270 lbs. would look nice lined up next to Brown or Newton.
6. FB, a real one not a converted TE with no size for lead blocking. I know we don't use one much but in goal line situations some Vontae Leach kind of size and pounding ability would be nice. J.C. Copeland-FB from LSU, a Vontae Leach clone and cheaper than Clutts.
6b. Safety, some added competition in the secondary so that guys like Demps, who I like, at least have to fight for their jobs. No one in mind right now but it's not a great year for Safety so some mid round talent will fall.
7. P, field position is so important and the ability to pin someone deep in their own territory helps your defense immensely. See Bryan Anger from Jacksonville. I like Quinn Sharp-P/K from Oklahoma St. who can also be an emergency K if needed.
The news about Nix surprises me as I thought he was leaving for certain. Kelly must have got him drunk and whispered in his ear. Nix almost left last year. I guess his Irish Chocolate followers convinced him to ride the wave of popularity. Wow. Jesse Williams an early guy for me has moved up & I just cannot get a good read on Sylvester. He has done well when I have focused on him but he turned 24 last month and I want to see if he can keep the weight off. He is quicker and looke good against Virginia. He also has a rep for taking plays off but I have not seen that. It is possible with Nix gone, if S.Williams has a good combine he will climb into late 20s. He is ranked 69. If I knew he would be there in second....

SHort has a rep for not playing 100% but I guess if he can his stats as he has he might be an option. This is same issue I have with Sylvester and not sure that type play translates to NFL. Whomever we draft at NT will have to play hard every play.