View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012   #30
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "You take the 3 points and move on"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
To be honest, I used to question his play call, too.

But when I had a chance to really study everything, I found myself an idiot for the most part.

I still question some of his calls, but I don't jump too quickly to a conclusion hardly anymore.
I'm not going to lie. I wanted him to go for a TD on that play, as well.

However, I did not get pissed off when they settled for 3. I understand percentages and the attitude of depending on your defense, even when they have shown some signs of not being too dependable lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Yeah, Kubiak has a pretty good record of coaching with the lead and in close games. I'm not saying there's never been a large lead that was surrendered, but there haven't been many, and in the last two years we're 9-2 in games decided by one score (8 points) or less. Yeah, part of that is because of what has been described as "turtling", but in the last two seasons (32 games counting playoff games), there's been one time where we had a double-digit lead and didn't end up winning the game - that was when we took a 10-0 lead on the Saints last season and ended up losing 40-33. During this period, we've never lost a game where we led by 11 or more points.

Yeah, maybe we have weaknesses and areas that need improvement, and maybe the play calling seems conservative and risk averse. And maybe - just maybe - those two things are not unrelated.
I heard something awhile back on local radio that indicated Kubiak had learned this conservative style from Bill Walsh. Kubiak is certainly not the first HC to play percentages and try to protect a lead, and he won't be the last.