View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012   #29
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "You take the 3 points and move on"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
People would be freaking out today if they tried to throw and it got picked. They'd be screaming what an idiot Kubiak is for not playing the percentages and taking the easy points of a gimme FG.
Yeah, Kubiak has a pretty good record of coaching with the lead and in close games. I'm not saying there's never been a large lead that was surrendered, but there haven't been many, and in the last two years we're 9-2 in games decided by one score (8 points) or less. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm guessing that's the best percentage in the NFL over that period. Yeah, part of that is because of what has been described as "turtling", but in the last two seasons (32 games counting playoff games), there's been one time where we had a double-digit lead and didn't end up winning the game - that was when we took a 10-0 lead on the Saints last season and ended up losing 40-33. During this period, we've never lost a game where we led by 11 or more points.

Yeah, maybe we have weaknesses and areas that need improvement, and maybe the play calling seems conservative and risk averse. And maybe - just maybe - those two things are not unrelated.