View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012   #109
utahmark
markbeth

Rep Power: 8735 utahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respectedutahmark is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This team's in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Eriadoc:

There's just no long-term thinking in the sports fandom world anymore.

It's all about what happened NOW.

That's why the majority of people on here are jeering and laughing and being sarcastic *******s with every comment. Because we're losers if we're not happy with what happened NOW. I mean, we just won! Can't you see how things are lining up???

Sometimes I think the ones who are happy with NOW must not have been around for the old Oilers games of the 1990s--The "good" teams that choked when they played outside of the dome. I wonder if they were around for all of Kubiak's tenure here...if so, then they'd wonder NOW how he could have grown absolutely ZERO inches in that whole span here as it relates to getting a team to where the throttle is at full blast and stays that way for 4 quarters.

To me, the most saddening aspect of this team is what happens when the defense comes up with a miracle stop...our offense starts within our own 10-yard-line, and we go 3 & out and make the defense go right back out there again and are asked to stop the opposing offense...AGAIN. Every once in awhile it's a fluke, but it's been an epidemic all season this year.

OK, so it does work against the poorer teams. It doesn't work against the better teams. As we have seen TWICE this season.

The NOW is fun, for NOW. The Super Bowl is not NOW. It's four games away IF we win out and get some good fortune in the playoffs.

I care about a SB, and yes this team has positioned itself to deliver it to us. But can they? It would be storybook, for sure. I just can't sit here and say that the NOW is a foretelling of a SB victory. Sure, yes, it feels good...NOW...but I was old enough to remember us being two quarters away from a SB appearance with the Oilers. With Houston pro sports teams, there's ample reason for this guarded attitude. It's not silly, it's far more silly to be crazily carefree right now.
Just because we are celebrating a win and not worrying about Brady and Manning 30 min's after we clinch the division doesn't mean we are short sited. I choose to judge Kubiak after the year and not worry about it after a win.