View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012   #179
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Is Matt Schaub clutch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
It's more than terminology...

It's an understanding of how things work.

For instance...

A coach is still a human. They are only going to cover so much. In a game there are unexpected things that happen. When you are in practice or in a game you need to be able to 1) ask questions/voice concerns and also be able to help coming up with solutions

It's impossible to ask legitimate questions AND be able to help come up with solutions (in practice or in the game on the fly) if you don't have an understanding of how the puzzle pieces are supposed to fit.

And that goes for more than just the QB although they do obviously have the most on their plate.

If you're running a play, you have to know what you're trying to do as an offense and also how the defense is likely to respond. For example, the offense I ran in highschool was pretty much the Texans offense except we ran the option. As an OT I knew that teams were going to try their hardest to stop our outside zone....As soon as I took my step to hook the DE the LB and DE would damn near turn and run to the sideline so they could get the outside contained...

So one thing I started doing was when we ran inside zone plays I'd fake an outside zone step (bucket step, drop step...whatever terminology you use) and the DE and LB would jump way outside and then all of a sudden the RB is going inside through a gaping hole...Not only did I set them up on that play, but now when we are really running outside, I'll be able to hook them better because they are now worried that the ball may actually be going inside.

That's just something simple, but thats just one example of why you'd want guys that are familiar with certain schemes because they have an understanding of how things fit within a certain play and also within the grand scheme of things. My coach didn't tell me to do that...That was just something I picked up on...The better/smarter players are the ones that can pick up on things like that during the course of a game/career/season....You have to go beyond coaching and that is where being familar with a certain scheme and already know stuff would come in handy...

A QB's familiarity with the offense would mean he has some idea of how his footwoork needs to be, how important certain aspects are (like the fakes), how the defense will react to certain things...How certain routes should develop against certain coverages...

The terminology is a small aspect because many coaches use different terminology...Hell, in the NFL guys are so smart and so in tune to what's going on that I'd imagine most of the better teams even change the terms they'll use to make calls from series to series...

Sorry for the long reply...but yeah...It's more than the terminology in regards to familiarity...It's about understanding...
I really enjoy your post Rey, so it's probably best for me not to bring up any other point at the moment.

Sometimes, I find it best to just appreciate the moment.
I got one today, thanks to you.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote