View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Illegal formation

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
While I agree with this (and have mentioned AJ always doing it and then was disputed that every WR does it which is BS) I don't get the rule which is why I called it stupid. #1 - Walter being back a yard gives him no advantage. #2 how are there not 5 ineligible receivers not on the line and #3 if we are being literal, there is only one person on the line? - AJ is a full yard back from the ball.

Every team in the league uses the staggered center formation. Sometimes you see a stagger from C to G and then G to T. The other four OLmen are clearly behind the center. How is that on the line?
The reason the center is further up is that he allowed to technically be in the neurtral zone by holding/snapping the ball. The space (from sideline to sideline) the ball occupies is considered the neutral zone. Even having a hand in this zone (by offense or defense) is considered off-sides. The OLmen are actually on the line of scrimmage and center is the off one.

On the WRs, way back when football used to have seven olmen with the two on either side being called end and those were allowed to catch passes. Football has never changed that from yester year.

You are going lawyer on something that functionally everyone understands (the english dude side of me agrees with poorly worded)