View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012   #1740
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 76169 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The All Encompassing FIRE KUBIAK thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
I agree with this, with the caveat that it's the coach's job to put players in position to succeed. When a coach picks a player that has a very low chance of succeeding and then puts him in positon, and he fails, there's only so much blame you can put on the player. When I look at rookie Ben Jones getting blown up by Vince Wolfork, I recognize that Ben Jones is not getting the job done. But why was he put in that position? In part because Kubiak thought he could do without Winston and/or Brisiel. In part because the guy Kubiak really thought could do the job (Caldwell) couldn't, even when he was healthy. When Jacoby Jones dropped that punt in the Ravens game after displaying a tendency to do that for YEARS, I screamed obscenities at him through my TV set. When Kubiak put Jacoby back out there multiple times after that, I redirected my ire.

Kubiak absolutely bears a large percentage of the blame for his players not getting the job done. There are places where it's all on the player, for sure, but there are plenty of places that you can easily point to Kubiak.
And that falls flat when you consider what choices he had at that particular time. When Ben Jones, the rookie, wasn't getting the job done, who did he have an an alternative at the time. When he using Jacoby Jones at the time, what was his alternative, at the time? Just a little bit too much second guessing born out of hindsight, but I realize by now, this is the way it works. Monday morning quarterbacking reigning supreme.