View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Football Gameplan's 2012 Wk 14 NFL Wraparound Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmDiggy View Post
Actually when you run at Watt you now have to ability to use 2 and sometimes 3 guys to help you gain leverage (G, T, TE or FB) in pass pro its a lot tougher to double team a guy that has someone opposite of him that can also get pressure..pick your poison type of situation.

I know you were trying to be funny, but just wanted to point out the actual football aspect from my comments
I'm not trying to be funny. You run at a lightweight, speed rusher to slow him down... which is what you said in your original comments a few weeks ago about how to handle JJ Watt. The problem with that is that JJ Watt isn't a lightweight, speed rusher. In the run game, he's a run stuffer.

Would you say something like, "I'm going to run at Vince Wilfork to slow him down?" No, because running at a run stuffer is going to put you behind in the down and distance.

For a guy like this, you've got to game plan ways to neutralize him in the run game not make it easier for him. You design plays to get your guys help, you try to confuse him with misdirection, and your QB has to identify where he is and how he's lined up and shift the play accordingly.

In the pass game, you've got to identify where he is and then try NOT try to throw through windows on that side. Moving the pocket is probably a good idea from time to time.

But you don't run at him to slow him down.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote