Thread: 11-1 thoughts
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I don't think anybody who discusses football as a hobby cares if cutting a guy saves $11m if less than half of that savings is actually applied to the one limiting factor to your roster besides the 53 man limit (ie, the salary cap). I find it pretty disingenuous to say "Cutting Chris Myers would save us $11m" without adding in the caveat that only $4-$6m of that would actually be applied to the cap.

I believe in the actual business model that the Texans have built and that it makes plenty enough money to pay guys like Chris Myers and Duane Brown extra money outside of the Salary Cap. The complaint I remember most hearing when we were a terrible franchise was that Bob was all about the money and didn't care if the Texans won. The Texans are a very slick advertisement and marketing machine, especially now that they are winning games, and any extra savings outside of the salary cap are extraneous at best.
One last time and then I'm moving on... there will be a cash savings of $11m. That does not change. IF you want to talk cap and I was not, looking at only 2014 $5m base will be saved and the remaining $4m prorated bonus is moved to 2014. Salary cap purposes only there is a $1m savings. Year 2015, Myers is gone and Texans do not pay his salary nor is there a cap hit from either that base of $6m or the $2m hit that was absorbed in 2014. There would be no cap saving of bonus but the based of $6m is not there to effect cap as Myers gone. That is a total of $7m total cap savings; $1m in '14 & $6m '15. You cannot just ignore 2015. I don't know where you get less than half unless you are talking about 2014 only.

If Myers remains on roster his base counts against cap each year so if he leaves that frees that amount. Again, I was talking salary & if that disappoints...

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say Texans "make plenty of money to pay Myers and Duane Brown extra money outside of the cap".