Thread: 11-1 thoughts
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012   #19
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If you look at year 2014 and have eliminated $6m base that would be gone from that year's cap. Often player salaries are discussed and many fans want to know what that annual amount is. I mentioned cash savings because I wanted to. If I had wanted to mention salary cap hit or savings I would have said or it would have been implied from the flow of the thread conversation.
I don't think anybody who discusses football as a hobby cares if cutting a guy saves $11m if less than half of that savings is actually applied to the one limiting factor to your roster besides the 53 man limit (ie, the salary cap). I find it pretty disingenuous to say "Cutting Chris Myers would save us $11m" without adding in the caveat that only $4-$6m of that would actually be applied to the cap.

I believe in the actual business model that the Texans have built and that it makes plenty enough money to pay guys like Chris Myers and Duane Brown extra money outside of the Salary Cap. The complaint I remember most hearing when we were a terrible franchise was that Bob was all about the money and didn't care if the Texans won. The Texans are a very slick advertisement and marketing machine, especially now that they are winning games, and any extra savings outside of the salary cap are extraneous at best.