Thread: 11-1 thoughts
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 11-1 thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
i'm still not seeing nose tackle unless it's a BPA. cody is more than adequate, as well as being cheap. mitchell could certainly be upgraded, but is respectable depth. dont get me wrong, if BPA is a heavy with the adjective "tenacious" in his scouting report, i'm all for it ... but i hardly see NT as a need. with 2 all-pro's beside him, i'd hate to tie up more money on the line (or lose smith) when we already have "good" at the position. also, and this is a big one, nose tackle is the position with the lowest play total (brice mccain has more defensive snaps than cody and mitchell combined). edit: we're #2 in run defense and have only allowed 1 rushing touchdown this season ... i'm actually curious as to why NT would be so high on some lists.

wide receiver and right tackle are my main focuses still. jones has flashed great (and poor) play, and brooks is going to be absolutely beastly if he learns the technique and nuances of the position. as it stands now he obliterates his man ... when he knows which man to obliterate. those two could very well be our guards for the next 10 years (i see jones sliding to the left side). newton i dont see the potential in, and after a brief but impressive showing from gardner, i'm not sure newton will hold the swing tackle position. right tackle is the hole on our offensive line, and one that should probably be addressed in the first 3 picks. harris is our current ephraim salaam, only here because noone else is able to play the position.

wide receiver is pretty obvious. jean and posey are simply potential, most likely remaining unrealized. walter is exceptional, expendable depth. andre is still andre, but a monster 2 weeks doesnt turn back the clock. it's way past time to get the next big thing. i dont mean to trade up for julio jones, but much like atlanta it's time we added the big second receiver.

inside linebacker. cushing is all-pro ... everyone else is depth. i'm not a fan of james, sharpton flashes potential but cant stay healthy, dobbins is strictly a thumper, and ruud is above average filler. we still need a starter here, preferably a 3 down player. i would use a 1st or second here if there was a standout, and most likely double up hoping one is a homerun. this is still THE big hole on defense - our lack of a complete nickel package.

i think wade really likes his OLB's, and i see barwin being signed relatively cheap. offensive line outside of right tackle is great, receivers are deep, tightend is a bpa addition, quarterback is great, runningback is great, DE's are great, safeties are great, corners are great. those 3 positions are where i see our only holes being (RT, WR, ILB), though certainly there are spots that could potentially be upgraded or improved with depth.
Cody will be 30 Jan 22nd and has ongoing back problems. Nose takes a tremendous beating and why many DTs do not want to play it. While we do see problems when he is out he is still average at best. It just shows how weak the depth is and Mitchell is not very good; probably should be a DE as he was drafted. If you do not think Nose is a dire need please explain the runs right through our middle. Quin has even been moved to a hybrid LB at times to help shut down the run. FYI, Antonio Smith is under contract thru 2013 @ $6m.

Your comments about right tackle are just not substantiated by facts imo. I think the tackles main job is to keep QB on his feet and blocking for the back; both are done well by Newton and Harris. Running game to right averages over 4 yds per carry and Newton has allowed 3 sacks. He compares very favorable to Duane Brown in his same year. I am ok with the comparison of Harris to Salaam except that Harris is only 27 and recovering from back injury. He gets better every game and ceiling much higher than Salaam was with Texans.

WR: as Posey has very limited actual snaps you nor I can evaluated positive or negative future. I know that a 3rd was spent on him so don't see him going anywhere. Jean is puzzling but has size/speed of Andre and will get a raise in'13 to $555,000 so he gets one more season. Agree with you on Walter but our second big receiver is TE Owen Daniels who is on pace to flirt with 900. Having said this, if Terrance Williams is there in our first, I'll close my eyes and run to podium.

Enjoy the back and forth!