View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012   #126
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Routt to tryout for HOU **Update** Signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
How could a player learn the terms of another teams defense so fast for Monday. Wouldn't it be a dead giveaway when he is on the field then were definitely in man coverage or does that matter because we don't play much zone or disguise what the backend is doing. I really have no clue how often we play man because I was a basketball and baseball player in my youth . But I have seen samples of playbooks that y'all have posted from teams from the 90s or something and they seem really daunting to learn. I know he probably has ran every play imaginable but don't they kinda scream at each the play after the offense is set up or kinda on the fly as to say. This is a honest question that I have no clue about.
Routt has learned a lot of different schemes and techniques by now.

The concept that Wade brings is really quite simple if the guys are veterans.
He combines the zone concept and the man concept together in such a way that allows guys to play fast without thinking too much.

In basketball it's like switched man defense.
You're playing zone without even knowing that you are in zone.

From there, he works backward.
After you're familiar with it all, you can play more effective zone.
You learn to stretch your zone in a natural way that is just the same concept; the implementation is just a reverse of the previous process.

It is not easy to describe, but I can see that once you're in it for a little while, it will become quite natural.
Much sooner than a guy who play man coverage all his life being trusted into a zone scheme that he's not familiar with.

It still takes a little time, but for a vet who had seen both, it shouldn't take long.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote