Thread: Dec. Mock
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dec. Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Agreed, and Reid would be perfect for this defense. Especially if Quin walks. Call me crazy but I think he would be perfect for this defense whether GQ walks or not. He's got the right attitude for sure, he and Cushing would be lighting fires on the field.

However, what's the highest pick Wade/Rick/Gary have ever spent on a S. The only S I can remember Wade picking in the 1st rd was Steve Atwater and Reeves made that pick.
5th for Shiloh Keo, right? All the more reason to invest in quality talent imo. Besides, if you want to go draft tendencies I think the Texans have pretty well established that they want high caliber defensive athletes, which Eric Reid most certainly is. I believe the late 1st round holds value for certain positions that the earlier picks don't. QBs, OL and the people who stop them CBs and DEs are the value until about 20. Mix in a few top flight players at other positions (WR, RB) and a freak athlete or two and that's basically that. Then you have the end of the first where positions like S, interior OL become more valuable. For instance, picking 32nd probably nets you the 4th or 5th best CB but maybe the 1st or 2nd best S. I'll take the top shelf S, especially when S depth is underwhelming and CB depth has been addressed recently. Oh AND GQ might not return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I find it ironic several posts, sites, members project Long to OT. How many have watched tape of his games? He is still raw & learning LG position since converting from a 5-tech DE. Does he have the size 6-6 320lbs? Check. Does he have quick feet? Check. Is he athletic enough to swing outside? Check. Bloodlines? Check. But he is a contact player, nasty & explosive off the snap. Not saying he could not be developed to learn OT position but why when he is ready to come in & dominate LG position like a Logan Mankins or Steve Hutchinson? Put him next to Brown & Texans left side is set for the next 10 years.

Having said all that he would most surely be worth Texans 2nd rd. selection where ever he lines up Sundays & don't call him Shirley
I think OT is more about athleticism than interior positions so that's probably the biggest factor for internet GMs like us. Frankly, I say get the talent in here, THEN figure out what to do with it. Kinda like the Millard pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmartin65 View Post
Because his frame is better suited to play outside, and furthermore, he has the ability to play outside just as well as he can play inside. And seeing as OT is a more valued position than OG...

I dont know how much more time it would take for him to be NFL ready at RT compared to LG. But I dont think it would be a drastic difference.
Just felt like this could be repeated.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote