View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012   #5
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Take Over Texas?

I'm 47 years old, and for most of my life, the Houston Astros owned the majority of Texas, and the Rangers were mostly afterthoughts, except in the DFW area, and sporadically throughout the State.
A few years of winning, and now the Rangers are suddenly the baseball darlings of Texas.

I see some parallels between that relationship, and the Cowboys/Texans relationship.

That situation isn't entirely equivalent to the Cowboys/Texans relationship because the boys have had a stronger hold on the state than the Astros did, IMO, and the Texans are a new franchise whereas the Rangers had been around longer before they started their recent run of success.

But I think in today's win-now society, a team like the Texans can make greater and faster in-roads into a fan base than they could have a decade ago.
Added to that is the fact that the Texans are a pretty likable team overall with a good mix of personalities that people can relate to.
Also, IMO, the Texans are an organization that has class and integrity in very much the way the boys did back in the day when many people became cowboys fans.

Essentially, I think the Texans today represent what the cowboys did in the past, and I think that is attractive to a lot people, many of whom are becoming more and more disillusioned with jerrah and the boys.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote