View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Pro Football refo: Texans vs Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't know if I grade the same way as they do, or you do. I'd like to see him beat his man as well & chase the QB around. I didn't see that.

But I don't "take-away" points because of a hustle sack. A sack is a sack & it hurts just as much as a "he beat his man" sack. It's like batting the ball down or chasing the RB down on a screen.

I liked his energy & even without the two hustle sacks I think he did a better job closing the pocket than Barwin did. No one (other than Watt) gets a sack a game. That's not a requirement.
I think they are taking away points on plays where he was innefective or got handled by the o-linemen. I doubt they are taking away points for what basically amounts to a hustle sack...or a sack caused by another player flushing the QB to them...

Quote:
And while he wasn't beating his man, he was pushing him back making the pocket smaller a lot. I was impressed with his strength.
JMO, but I think you are confusing strength with speed/quickness. Merciless has more quickness than Barwin and Reed by a long shot. It's not even close at this point.

When you get up field fast on a tackle, you make them slide faster and farther back. When an OL is overly concerned about your quickness on the edge it's easier to catch them off guard/off balance and beat them with a bull rush...

They are sliding back really fast and then all of a sudden you get into their body and just use momentum against them....

But if all that means is that you catch them off guard a little, but they quickly recover and just stonewall you right there, then it doesn't matter....

Look at outside pass rushers from other teams. Look at how many times they actually beat the Tackles...Sacks aside...Just look at how much they beat them.

Our outside guys aren't doing it nearly enough.

Thing with Merciless is that, IMO, he wasn't great at it but 1) he has the most room to improve 2) he's already better than Reed or Barwin....but that aint saying much
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote