View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012   #13
GregR
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 GregR is a quality contributor and well respectedGregR is a quality contributor and well respectedGregR is a quality contributor and well respectedGregR is a quality contributor and well respectedGregR is a quality contributor and well respectedGregR is a quality contributor and well respectedGregR is a quality contributor and well respectedGregR is a quality contributor and well respectedGregR is a quality contributor and well respectedGregR is a quality contributor and well respectedGregR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston Texans @ Tennessee Titans. 12/1. Noon. **Official GameDay Thread**

If the Texans need to turn to Foster more heavily in the passing game I'm of course fine with them doing so. But it doesn't really worry me that Foster isn't utilized this year like he has been in the past.

Texans just haven't needed to use Foster for so many dump offs and screens. The protection has been there and Schaub has been even more comfortable in the pocket, enough to go through his progressions so he's seldom reaching a point that it becomes time to dump it off. One thing that I've thought a few times this year is that Schaub seems to be showing better pocket awareness than in the past. No one will ever call him fleet of foot, but I think he is doing a better job sliding up or to the side and away from pressure. I used to clench when I'd see pressure coming, already in my mind picturing the sack-fumble to come. I've noticed I don't have that reaction as much now, as Schaub's play has given me more confidence he'll elude the pressure long enough to get rid of the ball.

Interested to see what the Titans passing game looks like now. I'm sure I wasn't the only Texans fan who was ecstatic to see when Chris Palmer was hired as their Offensive Coordinator, and not the only one sad to see him go. In addition to an inability to fix the small details his teams get wrong, I think his passing scheme is a poor one for young quarterbacks. Receiver's routes are dictated by what the defense does and there may be 3 or 4 different routes a lone receiver is supposed to run based on the coverage. Too much room for the QB and receiver to not be on the same page. All teams have some option routes, but Palmer's scheme takes it too far.

I think we'll see an improvement from the Titans passing game in that regard, so hopefully we'll be able to get pressure and not give them time take advantage of it. Britt, Wright and Washington are a solid group of receivers... and this new coordinator might actually use Jared Cook at tight end as much as he should be... the lack of opportunities for Cook was one of those head scratchers in the Palmer era. I still think their O-line play is a weakness though, so hopefully our D can exploit that and get pressure.
GregR is offline   Reply With Quote