View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012   #31
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alex Smith vs. Colin Kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
No, no, no.no... I'm not trying to make an apples to apples comparison between Kaepernick & Yates, or Keenum. Not even between Matt & Alex. Just acknowledging parallels between the two situations.

Alex Smith is not an elite QB, but he can get that team to & win a Super Bowl. Matt can do the same here. This is largely due to the fact that both teams have strong defenses & strong running games. Not to say that Schaub is just a game manager, but Alex Smith was a bit more than just a game manager last year when he lead his team to a play-off win on the road @ the Super Dome.

Still, Harbaugh wanted more, wanted an upgrade at that position.

Kubiak obviously does not.

Now, I'm not saying this is a good decision by either Harbaugh or Kubiak. Only different. I think there are some here who believe the "upgrade the QB" crowd are delirious, that the line of thinking simply doesn't make sense. I'm just saying it made sense to Harbaugh.

I've already acknowledged the difference between Schaub & Smith. Yeah, Kubiak went after Schaub to be our starter. Alex just happened to be there. Matt's stats probably blows Alex's out of the water. But, Smith has done something Schaub hasn't & that's win two play-off games & play for a conference Championship (& played quite well).

Still Harbaugh is "ready" to move on.

I think it's a big mistake. I know Kaepernick was brought in to be the future, but Smith has that important play-off experience. I would think that would trump Kaepernick's "future-of-the-franchise" status.

I would continue to play Smith & throw Kaepernick in the way he had been. Alex got them too close to the Super Bowl, they're playing too well this year, to be changing out QBs now.
Where I believe we see things differently is that you made the comment "Still, Harbaugh wanted more, wanted an upgrade at that position". That's where I disagree - Harbaugh didn't want an upgrade to the 2012 Alex Smith, he wanted an upgrade to the 2005-2010 Alex Smith, and that Alex Smith didn't compare at all to Schaub. One statistic that while admittedly not a "tell the whole story" type of deal is that at the time Harbaugh took over in San Fran, Smith's highest QB rating was 82.1. Even including 2011 & 2012, his career QB rating is still under 80. Since being with the Texans, Schaub's had one season where his rating was under 90, and that was his first season at 87.2.

So fast forward to 2012 - Harbaugh didn't have to go out and find what he considered an upgrade, he already had it. I don't know that Kaepernick over Smith is the right choice, although admittedly I think there's a better chance of it than some folks do, but I just don't see it on the whole as similar to what we've got going on with the Texans.