View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012   #28
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alex Smith vs. Colin Kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Ok... does anyone see the parallels between what's going on in San Francisco & the QB debates we have here on TTalk?

Alex Smith is a far cry from Matt Schaub, but they are similar in that people will say, "He's not Tom Brady, but you can win a Super Bowl with him."

Kaepernick, nobody really knows who this guy is but Haurbaugh & Kaepernick. We'll see. But it's clear, that his upside appears to be higher. He's dynamic. He's flashy.

I haven't watched any San Francisco games this year with Smith, but my question is... are they running the same offense? Are they running the same plays & Kaepernick is simply making different decisions than what Alex would make in those same situations? Was Alex just playing it safe & Kaepernick making the most of his opportunities?
I don't know if the offense if functioning the same with Kaepernick at QB, and I do recognize certain similarities between Smith and Schaub, but absolutely nothing beyond that.

The Forty-Niners and Harbaugh traded up to draft Kaepernick early in the second round (fourth pick), and as such, he was the assumed starter of the future the second he was drafted. Yates is a 5th round pick who may or may not have a long term future with the Texans, and even at that, he's far surpassed the expectations anybody had for him on draft day. Smith was a holdover from the regime prior to Harbaugh. Schaub is a QB that Kubiak personally vetted and paid a fairly high price to obtain.

Smith and Schaub are an apples to better apples comparison. Kapernick and Yates (or Keenum, or any QB the Texans are likely to obtain in the near future) are apples to moon rocks.