View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012   #186
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Besides Watt, D-line simply just not getting done this year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post

I think the problem only appeared in the last 3 games. Before that, even though we weren't getting the sacks, I think we were getting the pressure. The hits, hurries, & what not. I don't know that it showed up in the actual stats, but there was no denying we were bothering QBs.

But it's been three games... Bears, Jags, & Lions that our pass rush has been absent. Bears, we wrote it off due to field conditions. Jags, they got caught napping. Lions, a good QB. Are we being honest with ourselves?
Agree with these 3 games.
However, look at it this way.

The Bears were rated number one in QB pressure (we were second) when the two teams met.
We ended up with 4 QBHs (I think these are Hurries - to be explained later)
They ended up with 1 sack , and 3 QBHs.
Pretty much in line with the ranking; both teams were bothered by the condition on the field.
(Watt had one QBH, easily his worst game of the season.

Against the Jags, like I mentioned, we had 2 sacks, 10 QBHs, 4 passes batted down.
Watt had (1,3,1); rest of team (1,7,3).
16 out of 39 plays (35 passes, 2 sacks & 2 scrambles).
41%

The Jags had 2, 6, 0
8 out of 57 plays (55 passes, 2 sacks)
14%

We were clearly the dominant defense.

I don't remember how high in the ranking the Lions offense was before the game, but surely they were ranked high in the passing department.

3 sacks, 7 QBHs, 3 PDs
Watt 3, 5, 2
13 out of 66 plays (61 passes, 3 sacks, 2 scrambles)
19.7%

The Lions had 2,6,0
8 out 52 plays (48 passes, 2 scrambles, 2 sacks.)
15.4%

We still had better pressure on the QB.
With a healthy JJo, I'm sure the numbers would change.
And don't forget that of the 31 completions by Stafford, 21 were to the TEs, RBs, and slot receiver.

CJ ended up with 8 catches for 140 yards (only 3 for 37 in the second half & OT.)
All other targets combined for 9 in the first half and 12 in the second half & OT.)

KJ allowed 2 for 19.
On the third one, we were in some kind of 4 deep zone, with KJ dropping straight back while CJ ran a slant.

Watt's second sack was due to Barwin (first) and Manning (second) on a blitz, forcing Stafford up the middle.

Watt's third sack was due to Barwin (first) beating his man to force Stafford up the pocket again. Stafford then had to avoid Smith (who alsmost had the sack) before he ran into Watt.

If Stafford had stepped up quicker on the first sack, it would have been Barwin instead of Watt who get the sack.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote