View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012   #26
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Alex Smith vs. Colin Kaepernick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
If I'm Alex Smith I say all the right things, don't make this into any more of a distraction than it has to be, and as soon as the season is over I tell the GM of the 49ers that I'm out of there and he can trade me or release me but I'm not staying. Smith can start in this league and succeed. He has been in my opinion more a victim of a revolving door of suck than anything and the last couple of years have demonstrated that he can play and play at a high level.

Don't do anything to mess up your trade value or give anyone the impression that you're not a team player but get the hell out of there as soon as the 2012 campaign is over.
Barring a major injury to Kaepernick, something tells me Trent Baalke (San Fran GM) would be just fine with that - in fact he'll probably beat Smith to it.

The contract Smith signed in March was structured intentionally to function as a one year contract if need be. The only guarantee left is $1 Million of his 2013 salary, and there will be no unamortized bonus if he's traded or let go this off season.

Smith is scheduled to make $8.5 Million next year (including a $1 Million roster bonus due in August). That's way too much to spend on a backup QB, and if he's on the opening day 2013 roster, every dime of that will be guaranteed.

Translation: He gone!