View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012   #63
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Schaub calls out Suh, wouldn't want him on Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Theoretical question: Which would you rather have, the "Houston Texan-worthy" way and never a championship, or lowered standards with championships?

I'm not saying that the so-called "Houston Texan-worthy" way will not net a championship, but excluding players based on character flaws does limit the talent that you can get in the long run. That's just being pragmatic.
I honestly believe that the signing (and retention) of Braman shows the Texans aren't completely close-minded to "character flaws". It's just a guess, but I'm thinking that if we knew more than we know, Braman would be far from the only example.

I think the Texans take the approach that if they can get comfortable that the problems/character flaws exhibited in the past won't pose a problem down the road, they're willing to sign the player, but they've got to be at that point before they bring someone in. You can argue with the execution of that line of thinking all day, but it's tough to argue with the underlying premise.

Also, I think there's a component of the "every time someone you've heard of gets cut - someone starts clamoring for the Texans to sign him" syndrome. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometime the Texans don't sign someone because they simply believe he doesn't offer much.

Edit: all that said, I'm guessing there aren't too many fans of the LT led World Champion New York Giants who feel that those Super Bowl trophies are tarnished one bit by any of his off the field actions.