View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012   #29
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Uno Amigo Texan 2013 Mock

Current Texan nose tackles have all added weight since drafted & plugged into Wade Phillips 3-4. Cody came out of USC, 2005, only 293 lbs now has beefed up to 307. Mitchell was drafted by Texans (pre-Wade) 2010 weighed 296, now is 307 as well. Crick has also seen reps recently, due to injury's & he is only 279 but has added 7 lbs around 287. So even for smallish nose tackles they would like them over 300 lbs close to 310 if they can maintain quickness.

Despite this trend, it is not far fetched & probably fair to say Wade is on the lookout to strengthen this interior position with a bigger body that is athletic, tough, explosive/leverage, ability to hold the point & push the pocket. As noted in UNO Amigo mock I gave a brief description of current status of position. Texans have two hurt (Cody/Hunter) three young/learning (Mitchell/Crick/McClain) who are all around the same size weight ratios. The draft board will weight this position accordingly given due process so going into draft late April they will all be rated who, when & where they would select them.

The key, to me is Wade Phillips 3-4 scheme doesn't have a universal design. Instead of being rooted in "this is the way we do things" he adjusts to talent on hand, exhibiting strengths, in this discussion more quickness than size, but does not preclude a run-plugging monster who could sustain double teams & walk them back to the QB. The rapid turnaround & success he has had here is due to philosophy of adjusting to players on hand, but I believe the longer he is here opportunity via draft will happen so he will have chance to wrap-up defense with an elite prospect to play nose. Other than Nix III its real hard for me to mock another player high this draft once again.

Mid round prospect Anthony White, Michigan State is a solid 330. Strong more than explosive, good hand & foot work to fight/shed blocks. Clean off field, Durable on able to maintains gap control/assignments making him a solid run defender. Battle tested in Big 10 conference which based off last years draft Texans scout (5 picks, Mercilus, Posey, Martin, Crick & Mondek). Really like his consistency week after week despite little help Senior season. He was more disruptive when Jerel Worthy (drafted 2nd rd. 2012) was teammate, so he has flown under the radar, IMO.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote