View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012   #34
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gary Kubiak Presser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Lots of guys have posted good times and can't play a lick. I figured someone would bring up his combine numbers.

I can't explain it really, but some guys just have better reactionary and anticipatory athleticism.

When you are running drills you can practice that drill....over and over...you know exactly what you're going to do...the drill doesn't change...

Even if you don't practice, you know exactly what you're doing far ahead of time.

On the field it's not the same. Guys with slower times all of a sudden look quicker and more explosive.

Mario posted great numbers too, but he doesn't play nearly as explosive as those numbers indicate. Doesn't explode off the line like you'd think he should based on numbers.

Really different when your brain knows 'on your mark, set, go' vs. Trying to get off the ball on a qb's cadence.

Are you trying to tell me reed looks quick and explosive out there on the field????
While it's true to a degree, the Combine and pro-day numbers can't be ignored.

Reed's numbers show that he has the tool; whether he has the mentality to play the position is the other important factor.

Let's see, Reed played 2-way in HS, as a DE and a FB; he was around 220 at the time.
The Wildcats worked him at HB and TE.
Then came Sonny Dykes and his Air-raid offense.
They moved Mitchell to DT and Reed to DE.
That guy is not only versatile but should also have a pretty good grasp of both sides of the ball.
Wade and Herring must have seen that and started play him some as an LB on the second level against the Jags.
(So the talk of seeing Mercilus, Barwin, and Reed on the field at the same was fulfilled.)
There was one play in particular that shows his capability at the second level.
I will take some snap shots and show them later.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote