View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: P.King on Watt & Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
Miller may be the better pass rusher but that's not what the award is given for (Though some might argue that point.). It's for the best defensive player for a given year. And, if you look at all areas (sacks, hurries, QB pressures, tipped passes or PDF, TFL's, total tackles, etc...), I think you'll find JJ is the best all around defensive player in the NFL this season hands down.
Never said he wasn't the best all around defensive player, I said he wasn't as good of a pass rusher as Miller. The original post I was responding to was discussing the pass rushing, as if Watt needs some sort of handicap because he doesn't rush enough. He clearly doesn't need any help as his stats and performance will outweigh any perceived slighting due to his position as a 34 DE. I don't really see why this is so difficult to understand, if you want QB pressure, you get a pass rusher like Ware, Miller, Aldon Smith, Peppers, etc etc. That's their specialty. The fact that Watt is doing it at a high level this season is a bonus to the tremendous contributions he makes in other ways.

On a related note, I would love to see a stat for "Assists" when a player causes a turnover through a pass deflected towards a teammate that results in an INT. Those are WAY more valuable than sacks.