View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012   #12
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 'Fireman Ed' quits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I think we may be making more of this than it is. He's not quitting on the Jets, he's just not going to make a spectacle of himself anymore for the team.

If this is because he's being heckled by "Jets fans" then I can understand the issue. What are you going to do? Get in a fight with some !diot because you're a bigger !diot?

I'd also imagine there is some !diot watching the game from home who may be disappointed that he isn't leading the crowd as they've come accustomed to over the years, so I understand his public announcement explaining his decision.
Multiple problems with his line of thinking, though:

1. At some point, he's going to be back in that stadium....Jets fans are relentless in their fanhood, they will heckle him for quitting. It's the nature of the beast. You're screwed one way or the other.

2. All he had to do was drop the Sanchez jersey. Which has merits on many levels: (A) He sucks as a QB, so it comes off as a bit dense to wear a sucky QB's jersey especially right now, and (B) He had been accused of being paid by the Jets organization to wear that jersey...drop the jersey and it shows there was never a payoff, and (C) Him quitting DOES make it seem like he had been on the Jets payroll. If you're not guilty of something, just do the things necessary to show you're not a shill for the organization.

I "get it" that he didn't want the high drama anymore. But if he's that loyal of a Super Fan, which by all counts it's true that he IS that caliber of fan, then how does this make a guy quit? Which brings me back to my original post in this thread, the idea that he was ready to be done with it and it might have been a burden he was no longer ready to "go to the hilt" over.

Fine. But he's going to have a hard time anyways. Out in public, people will hammer him for being a quitter. If the team in 2013 (or beyond) improves, what does he do? Does he come back to the stadium, and if he does how is he received by the fans around him and in the concourse and out on the parking lot? On the streets, do people heckle him for "quitting" even though he never really quit the team, he just laid down a role for awhile.

He's screwed, by then again it's of his own doing. He created a role for himself that required full commitment and now he's decided to leave the mob. You never ever realllllly get to leave the mob, if you know what I mean.