Thread: AFC Tie-breaker
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012   #11
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AFC Tie-breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
An example of what they were saying is this scenario:

Texans, Ravens, and Patriots all finish the season 13-3.

In the regular season:
Texans beat Ravens
Ravens beat Patriots
Patriots beat Texans

In this scenario, each team is 1-1 against the teams with the tied overall records, so the head to head tie breaker is thrown out, and next next tie breaker is used, which I believe is record against the AFC conference.
That's correct. Of course your scenario could get even more convoluted if Denver beats the Ravens and also finishes 13-3.

I think in any scenario where we lose to the Pats and end up 13-3 along with them and anyone else I think New England would end up with the top seed.

In a multiple team tie-breaker, though, once one team has been placed the tie-breaking rules go back to head-to-head.

Also in the case of multiple teams tied with the same record if one team swept the others or was swept they would be either eliminated or be the top seed.

I think the safest thing to do is beat New England and this is all moot. I'm hoping SF beats them after we play them either way. It would give us a cushion if we do lose.

I don't want it to come down to the final Sunday against the Colts.