Why blame the officials who were only enforcing the rule as it stands? And as the writer points out the Lions had plenty of chances to make that call a side note to a Lions victory...
To be fair, thatís assigning a little too much blame on the officiating crew.
1. Jason Hanson has to make the game winning field goal attempt in overtime, which doinked innocuously off the right upright and fell just shy of the crossbar.
2. The Lions defense needs to do a better job of helping on Andre Johnson instead of having a backup safety playing centerfield between the hashes, especially when Matt Schaub stared at Johnson from about 3 beats before he took the snap until after Johnson was on the ground.
3. Kyle VandenBosch must make the simple INT on a ball thrown right into his hands.
4. Matt Stafford must do better than three wild incompletions with 1st and 10 at the HOU 45 on the drive after the missed Shayne Graham field goal, or
5. three straight incompletions from the exact same mark inside the two minute warning when the Lions had a golden opportunity to win in regulation.
Detroit had ample opportunity to overcome, and they failed every single time.
and how about failing to get off the field during that 97-yd drive in the 4th qtr?
I wonder if they have pink soap on the Lions' msg boards?