Thread: AJ is back !!!
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ is back !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klockWork View Post
I swear. Folks here in this forum reads a post, focus on an undertone, developed tunnel vision and runaway with their own spins on it.
In my post I said AJ is beast, still has all the tools, is physically more gifted than the 10 ten receiver in this league. I gave him more props than anybody in this thread. At what point did I say he was slow or declining? Hell, ealier I compared him to KIng Kong. To KIng Kong!

In regards to the YAC stats. Those numbers are misleading and is subjective and relative to where a WR catches the ball. AJ has benefit from passes that allows him spaces to run forward. Someone like Marshall catches a lot of passes from tight high-traffic coverages. But yet, he makes the most of it and manages to be among the league leaders every season in that category.

I just got through watching NFL rewind, Panthers vs Bucs, there was a play by Steve Smith: He caught a short fade toward the sideline, instead of running out of bound he stop short letting a CB run by him. It was a play that seems to last forever. He ended up running all the way across the other side of the field after dodging linemans, linebackers and safteys along the way. It was truly a wild sequences. He finished the play off by pushing off Ronde Barber at the side of his facemask and can be heard yelling "Get off me punk!"
All that running and scrambling only got him 3 extra yards. In hindsight it was probrably a foolish play but man, that got me pump up even though I'm no Panthers fan. Just the fact that there's so much fight in that guy is admirable.

AJ is built like the ultimate bad-ass. On one-on-one situation with a DB's it's heartbreaking to see him cover up the ball and concedes to be tackle.

Maybe AJ is playing it safe to extend his playing career, which make perfect sense. I guess the worst thing I can say about Andre Johnson is he's maybe the best possession/route-running WR in the game. If that's the best we can get from him then I gladly take it. Is it enough to bring a Super Bowl title to Houston? I surely hope so.
So how many yards did Steve Smith collect after that catch?

But who cares how it gets done.
Greg Cosell, widely considered as the guru of game film still sees AJ as premier receiver in the league (a hair above Megation).
That says a lot.

Andre Johnson, not Calvin Johnson, NFL's top receiver?
By Dan Hanzus (NFL Writer)
July 16, 2012

As for the No. 1 spot, Cosell says a 2011 hamstring injury -- and the relative low profile that comes with playing for the Houston Texans -- makes it easy to forget how special Andre Johnson is. Cosell calls the difference between Andre Johnson and Calvin Johnson "microscopic," but says the Texans' Johnson is "more purely athletic and explosive."

"When you watch him on film, you see the quickness, lateral agility and short-area burst of a much smaller man," Cosell wrote. "... Talk to many receivers and defensive backs in the league, and they will tell you that his combination of size, speed and sheer athleticism is off the charts. They have never seen another receiver like him."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...s-top-receiver
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote